The land of romance is a seductive, sunny paradise on the Iberian Peninsula, featuring a unique cultural heritage, pristine beaches, rugged mountains and the friendliest people anywhere. The scenery is breathtaking, the food amazing, and the wine – simply out of this world. Portugal has everything your dream honeymoon should be – and more.
Portugal’s most romantic and mystical city, located on the banks of the River Douro, offers a picturesque backdrop for an unforgettable Vinho Verde wine tasting and seafood dinner. Descend the medieval streets to Ribeira, toast your new life in one of many outdoor cafés, and discover Porto’s endless nightlife. A cruise on the Douro is a must, as is a visit to the city’s famous Port Wine cellars.
This fairy tale town, located in the lush northern mountains, features an architecturally stunning palace, monastery and park. Picnic in Pena Park, or take a horse-drawn carriage to Pena Palace for enthralling views of the sea or the town that Lord Byron once declared, “…may be the most beautiful village in the world.”
The Portuguese capital, one of the oldest cities in the world, blends ancient and modern cultures. There’s so much to see, from traditional mosaic pavements and red tile roofs, to historical buildings, monuments, museums and monasteries. Order Caldo Verde, a glass of Madeira, and indulge in decadent Portuguese pastries. Shop exclusive “Lisboa” boutiques and head to Bairro Alto for vibrant nightlife. Carcavalos Beach is where you’ll find locals and surfers. Don’t miss the panoramic vistas of the city from Castello de São Jorge.
Portugal’s sweetest secret is its rugged south coast, where lovers can discover secluded sandy beaches – and spas. This is the place to relax, feel the sultry sea breeze, warm sunshine, forget-me-not blue skies and exquisite azure waters. Get lost in the people, the colours, and the play of light before sunset, or simply savour the area’s remarkable beauty. A honeymoon haven.
5 Things to Know About Portugal
1. Established in 1279, Portugal is one of the oldest countries in the world, and the first global empire.
2. Portugal boasts over 1 million acres of vineyards. Cheers!
3. With over 850 km of spectacular beaches on the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal enjoys an average of 3,000 hours of sunshine per year.
4. The footwear industry is hot; Rihanna’s 2013 collection was manufactured in Portugal, and Pippa Middleton wore Portuguese shoes to the royal wedding.
5. Lisbon is home to the oldest bookstore in the world, Bertrand, which opened its doors in 1732.
Originally published in Today’s Bride Magazine, Spring/Summer 2017.