The popularity of the adventure honeymoon is on the rise! Gone are the days when all couples wanted to simply pick a resort and lounge on the beach after their wedding. Many newlyweds are now in search of honeymoon ideas that are out of the ordinary. Barbara Poczyniak, a certified travel consultant at Toronto-based travel agency Honeymoons By Design, advocates that adventure honeymoons are perfect for people in all stages of their lives. Whether you’re getting married in your 20s, 30s, 40s, or even 50s, your ideal adventure is waiting for you and your loved one. According to Ms. Poczyniak, the following honeymoon ideas are particularly suitable for travel aficionados who have worn out the classic beach vacation and are looking for a little more excitement.
Arguably one of the most popular adventure honeymoon destinations, Costa Rica boasts an array of eco-friendly hotels and activities for environmentally conscious couples.
Where To Stay
Situated in the heart of Costa Rica’s tropical rainforest, the Pacuare Jungle Lodge is the ideal accommodation for adventurous newlyweds. The fun begins upon arrival! Rather than taking a road into the resort, couples raft along the scenic Pacuare River and float into the hotel. The resort offers a private honeymoon suite that is perched above the rainforest and offers a breathtaking view of the wildlife beneath.
- Whitewater Rafting: Kick-start your adventure honeymoon with a one of Costa Rica’s legendary whitewater rafting tours! The country is world renowned for its rapids and offers rafting tours for people with all skill levels.
- Hiking: Venture off on an organized hike along any one of the numerous jungle trails in Costa Rica. Feeling extra bold? Participate in a night hike and encounter all sorts of nocturnal creatures!
Thailand is celebrated on an international scale for its culturally infused adventure activities. If you consider yourself a foodie, indulge in some spicy and daring cuisines during your vacation.
Where To Stay
The Aruntara Riverside Boutique Hotel in Chiang Mai, Thailand is a delightful treat for couples that value unique interior designs. Each room has a distinct theme that reflects a different aspect of Thai culture. The hotel’s on-site spa is the perfect space to unwind with your partner after an action-packed day.
- Elephant Rides: Navigate the riverbanks and forest trails of Chiang Mai on the back of an elephant. Take the time with your loved one to feed and bathe the gentle creatures.
- Zip-lining: Need an adrenaline rush? Perhaps couples zip-lining across the forests of Chiang Mai is more your speed. Flying high above the foliage with your loved one is the perfect opportunity to take in a view like no other!
Where To Stay
The Radisson Plaza Resort is located on the infamous black sand beaches of Tahiti. It is conveniently located a short walk from all of the island’s major attractions. For couples looking for some relaxation, the hotel’s infinity pool will surely be a hit!
- Snorkeling/Scuba Diving: Take a crash course on snorkeling and explore the magnificent coral reef of Tahiti. If you are extra daring, check out scuba diving and get up-close and personal with the underwater creatures!
- Sailing: Grab your loved one, rent a chartered sailboat and sail between the picture-perfect islands of French Polynesia! The adventure is customized and offers newlyweds the opportunity to visit islands most other travelers do not get to see.