Aruba is known as “one happy island”. It also is known for its beautiful white sand beaches (such as Palm Beach and Eagle Beach) on the southwest side of the island and rugged desert-like terrain along the northern shore. And more good news: it is almost guaranteed to offer a rain-proof vacation as it is outside the hurricane belt.
What To Do
- Rent an ATV and discover hidden gems within Arikok National Park.
- Take a dip in the Natural Pool or explore the Quadiriki Caves along the rugged northern shore.
- Shop for designer items and visit jewellery boutiques while enjoying a tiny 1.5 percent tax.
- Combine an outdoor experience with adventure by golfing at Tierra del Sol, scuba diving or snorkelling with Red Sail Sports, windsurfing near Hadicurari Beach and playing beach tennis.
- Play at night in the casinos and bars, such as MooMba (a fun, Palapastyle bar on the beach).
Where To Eat
There is no shortage of places to eat. Come hungry and leave happy! For Italian, try Trattoria el Faro Blanco in the old lighthouse keeper’s house with an amazing 360 degree hilltop view of the island. Windows on Aruba, at the nine-hole Divi Links Golf Course, offers a fantastic view. Papiamento is a gem, offering an authentic Aruban experience in a romantic courtyard.
Where To Stay
There are many excellent options, including The Marriott Resort and Stellaris Casino (pictured above) which has a free-form pool with swim-up bar or a new H2Oasis adult-only pool with cabanas to provide shade. The Occidental Grand Aruba and Divi Aruba are good all-inclusive options. Let the Bucuti and Tara Beach Resorts pamper you if you’re looking for an adult-only boutique experience.
- Aruba accepts U.S. currency.
- A direct flight from Toronto is approximately five hours.
- There are more than 150 restaurants on-island ranging from local seafood shacks to old-world mansions that serve continental cuisine.
- The average temperature is 28 degrees year-round with a constant breeze and low humidity.
- Aruba’s high season is the end of November through April.
- Check out aruba.com for a listing of special events throughout the year, including Aruba In-Style Fashion Week and Caribbean Sea Jazz Festival.
Visit aruba.com for more information.